Motonews - Powered by vBulletin

Anybody ever ride/race 1977 Yamaha YZ400?

I'm, considering a 1977 YZ400 as my next project. Reason being it just makes it into the 1973-77 class. I heard about handling problems, but think they can be fixed with longer swing-arm[yz-465], newer mono-shock, and up-dated 38mm forks largest for that eara of racing rulewise. Any help would be great or I'm going the Suzuki RM 370 route, but I like Yamaha's reliablity rate. Frog:laugh:
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"This guy know's what he's talking about\\\" Bob Hannah on MT member Frog

Re:Anybody ever ride/race 1977 Yamaha YZ400?

Re-inforce the frame. It isn't that hard to fold one.
    I would rather be lucky than good.

Frog,
    I recall that era of early mono was no too well refined. The shock overheat/fade was pretty dramatic. Luft was the maker of nice resevoir everyone frame mounted near the front of the tank back then.

You may easily fit a 79 shock in there for cheap via ebay. By 79 they had it working pretty darn good. I can pull up some nice shots of Burgetts and Glovers bike that my friend took at St Charles Missouri 78 national. Small and large yz had a frame mounted resy.
    TB
    My God am I glad I raced when bikes were slow, tracks had bumps,and motorcycles sounded like music....

Sounds Cool, that's what I was thinking newer shock and longer aluminum swing-arm and newer style forks. I found one in Iowa, rebuilt motor and stuff- just would have to trick it out-the fun part and the $$$$$ part! Frog:laugh:
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"This guy know's what he's talking about\\\" Bob Hannah on MT member Frog

tom benolkin wrote:
    The shock overheat/fade was pretty dramatic.

TB
    If you rode the 5 lap vintage motos like I do the last thing you worry about is shock fade....it's my body that overheats and fades way too quick and I hardly even leave the ground

Ohhh yeah I forgot about that 5 lap thing. Good point!
    My God am I glad I raced when bikes were slow, tracks had bumps,and motorcycles sounded like music....

Hello vintage lovers... I am new here so anyway.. great to be here and hello!!the 77 YZ400 is a great bike with some mods.. to keep it historic class legal.. I found nice Pro-Fab swingarm on ebay.. 200.00.. 1.5 inches longer and it makes a giant change in the way the bike handles.. added a 500.00 works performance shock with remote and went with the stock forks with new heavier springs and it will do much better than the RM370... in my opinion.. and I love Suzuki's

The stock steel tube swingarm really flexed bad. A stock 78 aluminum swingarm should fit it also.

I used a Keystone reworked shock & Terry fork kit for 12 inches of travel....... back in the day. I think Keystone later became Pro Action and they might be able to re work your stocker.